Pork Tracking and Timely Sourcing System Activated by Council of Agriculture

Pork Tracking and Timely Sourcing System Activated by Council of Agriculture

Published: 2016.10.17
Accepted: 2016.10.17
Department of International BusinessFeng Chia University

Source: Council of Agriculture (COA)

Because of the rising concerns on food sources and safety, consumers start to look more carefully about the meat farms, feeding environment, hygiene, and meat quality. On the other hand, the aggressive participation of regional free trade agreement, like TPP, requires the market openness of overseas pork imports. Taiwan’s Council of Agriculture (COA) prepares both perspectives to the upcoming potential threats of the domestic pork supply chain and channels of conventional facilities.  

More than 85% of the current domestic pigs are traded in 23 meat markets in Taiwan, while the remaining 15% of pigs are sent to slaughterhouses straight away. COA of Executive Yuan established the pork tracking system in order to distinguish domestic pork from the imports. The tracking system can provide domestic consumers who prefer to buy fresh pork in a differentiated market with a further knowledge of the farm source. 

In fact, COA has started to consolidate an accurate farm source for meat supply in combination with production orders and tracing codes since 2012. In 2016, COA already launched a “domestic pork tracking database” to provide QR code app tracking banners on market sites for consumers to scan for source information, or to use the computer for the 8-digit code tagged with the seller over the internet of http://farm.naif.org.tw/. The data shows the auction date, auction market, and farm source. By doing so, consumers can be comfortable to get timely information on safe food and farm source.


Date submitted: Oct. 15, 2016

Reviewed, edited and uploaded: Oct. 17, 2016