The CPC Central Committee and the State Council attach great importance to the development of the seed industry. On Dec. 20, the general office of the State Council issued opinions on Deepening Reform on Seed industry System and Increase the Ability of Innovation, or Document 109. Plans for reforming the seed industry system were clarified, the pace of science and technique innovation was fastened and the confidence and vitality of developing modern seed industry was enhanced.
In 2011, the State Council issued Opinions on Accelerate the Development of Modern Crop Seed Industry No. 8, devising overall plans for the development of modern seed industry. The document is of milestone significance. Local authorities implement the document by putting forward support policies increased input on breeding research, encourage the construction of seed base, improve policies and systems, strengthen market supervision. In implementing the No. 8 document, such deep-rooted and systematic problems as disconnection between research and production, and the flow of talents appeared, calling for deep reform on seed industry. The Third Plenary Session of the 18th CPC Central Committee proposed giving full play to the decisive role of the market in distributing resources, establishing a system of coordinated innovation of production, study and research, and vitalizing enterprises’ innovation capability. In December, 2013, the general office of the State Council issued Document No. 109, in a bid to deepen reform on seed industry system, accelerate innovation capability of seed industry and promote the development of modern seed industry.
Main content of policy
Document No. 109 is consistent with document No. 8. Both documents focused on innovation and reform in the seed industry, pinned down the direction for reform, classified reform measures and increased the feasibility of policies. The documents defined enterprises as the subject in technique innovation, and proposed new measures to accelerate scientific and technical system reform, mobilize personnel, advance the flow of resources to enterprises and increase innovation capability. The documents reflected the internal requirements of developing the modern seed industry. They also raised clear and concrete requirements in supporting seed enterprises, strengthening basic public services, accelerating the construction of seed bases and strengthening market supervision and management, in a bid to provide policy support for the development of seed industry.
1) Accelerating reform on scientific research system of the seed industry. Establishing a commercialized innovation system of breeding with enterprises as the subject, promoting the flow of talent, technique and resources of universities and scientific institutions to enterprises, encouraging the transfer of scientific institution engaging in commercial breeding to enterprises and the disconnection between non-commercial institutions and their enterprises. Establishing a scientific innovation system of the seed industry featuring orderly division and close cooperation via reform.
2) Fostering and developing innovative and competitive seed enterprises. Encourage seed enterprises engaging in both breeding, growing and selling, to pool existing Powers and resources to set up research facilities, increase research fund and establish a commercialized breeding system and raise the innovation capability of enterprises. Promoting the merger and restructuring of enterprises, supporting big enterprises to enter the seed industry by such means as merger and becoming a shareholder and encouraging big seed industries to acquire profit research facilities and small seed enterprises to for modern seed conglomeration featuring advanced breeding, producing, processing, marketing and service capabilities. Providing support to large and thriving seed industries in the areas of taxation, credit, the construction of seed base, research project and personnel to raise the competitiveness of China’s seed industry.
3) Mobilizing research personnel. Non-profit research facilities could apply for property rights for and trade their research results, new breeding and products and translate them into shares of enterprises. Study and feasibility of researchers profiting from the research results and set up pilot programs. Supporting researchers to cooperate with enterprises by means of taking part time jobs and signing contracts. Encouraging researchers to participate in business operation in enterprises or start their own business achievements into title access.
4) Pooling resources for making breakthrough in breeding. Promoting scientific innovation of various forms for the seed industry. Producing a patch of good seeds with bright prospects. Setting up research platforms, recruiting talents and connecting research facilities with enterprises to make breakthrough in areas like major crops, core technologies, new models of cooperation between research facilities and enterprises and multiple investment, to produce new kinds of seeds of high quality and high productivity.
5) Strengthen the construction of breeding base to protect resources and seeds of good quality. Making mid and long term plans for protecting seeds of good quality at the state level as soon as possible, establishing and improving a system of protection, management and services for seed sources. Strengthen the construction of seed production bases and improve infrastructure construction of seed production bases and countries. Strengthening protection and construction of seed production bases and countries. Strengthening protection and construction of Nanfan Breeding Base of Hainan Province, condoning off a standing reserve zone and increase support the construction.
6) Raise the level of opening up of seed industry. Making good use of two markets and two resources, to develop in competition and turn the big seed industry of China to a powerful seed industry. Raising the quality of “imports”, encouraging enterprises to import good seeds and advanced technique. Raising the quality of “exports” as well, encouraging enterprises to set up research facility at a foreign land and apply for property rights protection. Encouraging enterprises to expand overseas market. Strengthening security supervision and standardizing communication and cooperation with another country to achieve manageable, effective and secure opening up.
7) Providing favorable market environment for developing the seed industry. Giving market the full play in allocating resources and accelerating the transition of government function to create good environment for the development of seed industry. Continuing the fight against such crimes as producing and selling fake seeds to protect the rights of enterprises and farmers. Accelerating the establishment of a unified market, breaking local barriers and abolishing any rules that interfere with the marketing of seeds. Establishing evaluation system for seed market and encouraging the enterprises to set up traceable information system for seeds, to achieve traceable management. Standardizing the sale of seeds.
Date submitted: April 15, 2016
Reviewed, edited and uploaded: April 19, 2016